Thursday, October 15, 2009

Untitled - by Kassi Baird

I've been thinking - if YOU are a writer and like to write, I'll actually be happy to post your stories on my blog. This story is by my friend Kassi. I still can't think of a title. (sorry!)
Enjoy and tell Kassi what you think! (By commenting on this story)




"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is what we start from."
~T. S Eliot.

Step, step, step, step, step ,step. I was so focused on running that I had almost forgot to breathe. The cold air surrounding me was the only thing keeping me from stopping to rest. I looked down at my watch. 4:37 - if I hurried, I could make it.
People stared at me as I ran by. I couldn’t help but pity them, for they didn’t know the fate that would befall them in a mere twenty minutes.
Twenty minutes.
The thought started my pulse of and I felt a new surge of adrenaline. I was so close I could almost smell the old house, feel the touch of his skin on mine. I smiled in excitement, then remembered the reason for this rendevous and my heart sank. I glanced back down at my watch, 4:45. I could feel the beads of sweat on my forehead expand and drip down the side of my face. I knew he wouldn’t care what I looked like.
Tension started to fill the air and I knew it wouldn’t be long until chaos erupted, and the people started screaming. I could see the old house on the corner, and my pace quickened. Soon, I reached the door. I knocked, then realized the formality was pointless, he wouldn’t care. I opened the door, and stepped in, my heart bounding, and my breath coming out in heavy, prolonged pants. I saw him turn the corner, and I could feel the corner of my lips turn up, surrendering to a full-on smile. He smiled back and my breathing quickened. He held out his arms and I ran into them without hesitation. My paranoia kicked in and I looked at my watch. 5:00- seven minutes left.
I could hear the few people outside sensing something, and soon whispering began to fill the normal bustle of a few minutes ago. I looked up into his eyes and watched as they changed from caramel, to a stormy blue-gray. My eyes once again darted to my watch, 5:05, I looked back at him and his eyes were filled with humor. He knew my paranoia was my weakness. Outside I could hear people screaming. Soon in the far countries, the screaming cut off, ending with a low strangling sound. I didn’t even have to look out my watch to know the dreaded time had come. Soon even the noise outside gurgled, and I gathered the energy around me and bottled it up. 5...4...3...2...1...I let it out. The last thing I remember was a brilliant flash of white light, and the noise outside reduced to silence. Then the world was black.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

thank u for posting!dont worry if we brainstorm we should b able to come up with a title! did u add to it, bcuz i dont remember my writng skills being so great.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say... it's good writing, but it moves really fast and I felt kind of confused.

Unknown said...

that is bcuz i have not finished it, this is just the first part of it

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORGET THE BECCA PART IN THE "wackywriterbecca.blogspot.com"!

Becca said...

Why???!